Despite warnings to the contrary, I attempted my first installation of DNN on ASPNIX using the WebApp Gallery (DNN 5.6.0). Consistently got the following error:
Not sure if the error was due to WebApp Gallery or DNN 5.6.0. I downloaded 5.6.2 from Codeplex and was able to complete the installation.
Upgrading Database to Version 05.06.00...FAILURE ERROR: Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at DotNetNuke.Services.Installer.XmlMerge.UpdateNode(XmlNode rootNode, XmlNode actionNode)
at DotNetNuke.Services.Installer.XmlMerge.ProcessNode(XmlNode node)
at DotNetNuke.Services.Installer.XmlMerge.ProcessNodes(XmlNodeList nodes, Boolean saveConfig)
at DotNetNuke.Services.Upgrade.Upgrade.UpdateConfig(String strProviderPath, String strConfigFile, Version version, String strReason)
- Create a SQL Server database and a database user
- Create a web site from control panel. Click on Extensions tab. Make sure that ASP.NET 4 (Integrated Pipeline) is selected. Save.
- Download current build from Codeplex . Unzip to wwwroot.
- Check permissions on web.config. NETWORK SERVICES must have read/write. NOTE: I had opened a ticket regarding earlier issue with DNN Install Wizard. Support tech may have set additional permissions on the folder. His comments were so vague that I don't know exactly what (if anything) was done. Other threads in this forum state that sys admins must grant permissions on the DNN folder. Edit: see Chris' post stating that NETWORK SERVICES not required
- Navigate to the website domain. DNN Installation Wizard will launch automatically.
- Most of the forms are self explanatory. Only page that caused some confusion was Database Settings. Your SQL servername can be found using these instructions. At the time of my installation, this service was mapped to sqlxxx.aspnix.com (check your account summary for actual servername). An instance name is not required. Make sure that SQL Server 2005/2008 Database is selected, NOT Express.