Client Login Area
LiveZilla Live Chat Software
Main Menu

Thread: Question for you .Net programmers

Verified Community Member

Default Question for you .Net programmers

I've recently decided to get back into the field of study of computer science. That means I have another 3 or 4 semester before i get my AAS. Once I finish this it is suppose to give me enough knowledge to obtain an entry level job.

Well I was wondering what type of things an entry level programmer would be doing. Along with what type of things would be good to have in a portfolio to show the person who interviewing you.

Lastly, would freelancing be a better start right out of college? If so does anyone suggest a site that is actually pretty good for .net developers?
    Living to Kill, Killing to Live

Come learn more about Project NLIXD!

I freelanced out of college, as well as did some work on some open source projects etc. to get my resume built up. Really no place is going to hire you straight up and out of college, you need experience that shows you have real-world programming experience. Its all good that you know the answers to the questions, you know all the different collection types, tinyint vs. bigint etc. Real world experience in some projects etc. is always good to go on resume.
    Christopher York
    ASPnix Administration Team
    www.aspnix.com

I've looked at a few freelance sites. How hard is it to get chosen one these sites. I've seen bids go from like 20 dollars to up around 1k+. I figured the smaller the amount would be a better place to start.

As for the open source projects, where they your own projects or did you find a reliable team to join on like Codeplex or something? I was thinking of starting to build some simple programs, like a notepad clone, and ie/firefox clone, etc and eventrually build from there. Or would you suggest finding an open source project and asking them if i could join their team and get my name out that way?

Most of my experience in freelance was with PHP. XOOPS and PHPbb. I also worked for Invision Power Inc. .Net I started back in college because we ran a World of Warcraft private server; and I built many tools to work with it etc. After that I built many other things, PHP Editor, MySQL database backup manager, and many many tools in use within ASPnix.
    Christopher York
    ASPnix Administration Team
    www.aspnix.com

Thanks Chris. Glad your around to answer my questions. Hopefully in a semester or two I'll know enough C# to get some small freelance jobs or even to get on a decent open source project. Here is to hoping and my future.

Verified Community Member Kenny's Avatar

The company I work for has an intern program which they run in collaboration with the local state Uni and community colleges. That may be a good way to build some experience if you can find a similar program in CO.

Watch out for the shysters though. I've seen job postings where the companies have been offering entry-level positions (ie low-paying), but the skill set they ask for is anything but entry level.

Which ever way you go, good luck in your endeavours.

Ken
    What? Me Worry?
    Alfred E Neuman.

Hi crzyone,

How is your C# going? What's new?
    Roma
    Friendly ASPnix Administrator

https://www.aspnix.com
    roma@aspnix.com

ASPnix on Facebook