Client Login Area
Main Menu

Thread: SQL Server 2005 database space "tunning"

Verified Community Member

Default SQL Server 2005 database space "tunning"

Good evening everyone,

I have a web application that is using a SQL Server 2005 database, in the backend, and I'm failing to understand where it is sinking disk space. I know SQL Server is kinda known for using enourmous amounts of disk space, when compared to other database systems, specially when it's being missused ;)

The first thing I've tryed was changing the recovery model from full to simple but that only did that much. I'm pretty sure I've missed some weird configuration in the process. It's kinda weird that the old system, running on PHP and MySql (both v5), used arround 370Mb for the database and it was used for over a year storing about 4 million records. This, when compared with the new system, that is already taking 219Mb for the database alone with little over 100k records... (well) it's kinda odd :)

Does anyone have any idea of how can I do some "xunning" to my DB in order to make it use less space while not losing performance (vital app etc ^^)

PS: This database is expected to store around 100 million records over the next 2 years. That's why I'm a bit worried about it's growth ;)

Best regards,
    DBA

Default Re: SQL Server 2005 database space "tunning"

All our databases have "simple" recovery mode by default. I can also set auto shrinking on your db if you want.
    Roma
    Friendly ASPnix Administrator

https://www.aspnix.com
    roma@aspnix.com

ASPnix on Facebook

Verified Community Member

Default Re: SQL Server 2005 database space "tunning"

Already tried shrinking it. The problem is not there either ;/